Sunday, November 20, 2011

IIII

Each Sunday morning, as soon as I wake up, I proudly place another check mark on the marker board outside my room to commemorate the end of another week in Southwest Asia.  Today, I happily marked the completion of my 4th week.  4/26 weeks down!  15.3%!  I know there's a ways to go, but each time I add a mark I feel hope rising up.

Today I was able to attend the worship service here on the base.  It is a contemporary service with praise and worship music very similar to my home church.  I've actually been practicing with the band and had the chance to play with them on stage during this weekend's services.  No, mom, I didn't play the spoons, I actually played the acoustic guitar.  And, no, Cory, it wasn't Oscar Schmidt, it was a nice plug-in Yamaha.  Today, the Lord showed me clearly the value of corporate worship; for worshipping Him alongside other brothers and sisters.  Most of my time here has been spent alone, a choice I have consciously made to allow more time for prayer and meditation on God's word, and in listening to his still, small voice.  I've cherished this opportunity, and have grown from it.  Today, though, I experienced the joy of worshipping with the body of Christ, his church.  As other believers lifted their hands and their voices in praise to our King, I felt so thankful for the privilige I enjoy regularly at home.

In "The Heavenly Man," a book that details the persecution, struggle and torture of Chinese Christian Brother Yun, he spends years isolated in prison.  When God brings other Christians alongside him, even for brief encounters, his faith and hope are strengthened.  I can't imagine being alone without Christian brothers for years.

The weather here has turned quite nice, and I'm thankful I missed the 130+ degrees summers.  Most days are cool (60s) in the mornings with an early fog, with high temperatures in the 80s to 90s.  The sunrises and sunsets still stir me.  I can't help but to pause and appreciate the majesty of the Lord with each one.

The stomach bug is now just a painful memory.  I'm getting into a good schedule at work.  Work has been steady, mostly consisting of hernia repairs, upper endoscopy and other minor surgeries.

Living on a joint base, we work alongside personnel from Canada, France, Great Britain, and Australia. Last Friday, 11 November, we celebrated and remembered the sacrifices of military members past and present from all the coalition nations.  It was a special ceremony and was interesting to hear some of the history of the other nations' militaries.

"In Flander's Fields" was read aloud, a poem written in 1915 during WWI by Canadian physician John McCrae.  I recall reading this for the first time as a junior in high school, and still keep a printed copy at home.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
      Between the crosses, row on row,
   That mark our place; and in the sky
   The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
   Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
         In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
   The torch; be yours to hold it high.
   If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
         In Flanders fields.






Veteran's Day Retreat Ceremony



One of the things to pass the time is exercise.  The base here does a great job of offering individual and team events to motivate people to take part.  The four of us pictured below (L->R) Texas Surgeon (me), Virginia OR Nurse, Nebraska Surgeon, Mississippi Anesthesiologist, took part in a 10K relay to raise money for the Combined Federal Campaign, and had a great time.  What I love about this picture is that it demonstrates the Air Force's crazy fixation with REFLECTIVE BELTS and LOGOS!





This last picture is just an excuse for me to look at my beautiful family!  E made the shirts as a celebration of Orphan Sunday.  Great job, huh?  She carefully coordinated the kids' smiles in this pic.




Thanks for all the prayers and e-mails.  Keep them coming.  Thanks, even more, for those who have been caring for my family back home.  E tells me almost daily of someone offering to help her with the kids, the house, or just bring her a cup of coffee and conversation.  It touches my heart that they are so well cared for in my absence.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jason! Your wife posted the link to your blog on Facebook so I was happy to read it. Good to know you're doing well and that the Lord is already moving. Praying for you and your sweet family at this time!

    ReplyDelete