Saturday, October 22, 2011

Intro

I've been tasked by the military, my current employer, to serve in Southwest Asia for the next 6 months or so as a general surgeon. I figured I would probably keep a journal, but since I don't really write much anymore, my right hand started cramping up halfway down the first page. Additionally, I figured a blog would save me from repeating the same e-mail updates to a bunch of people. So, I guess you could say I'm blogging because I'm weak and lazy. I say I'm practical.

I am a follower of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, the son of the Living God, and I sincerely feel that He has something extraordinary planned for me during my deployment. I don't know exactly what it is, but I feel it has more to do with growing in my understanding of Him and His holy word, the Bible, than it does growing in my skill as a surgeon. Hopefully both, but I'm learning to let him call the shots. My prayer is that I will be productive in my time deployed, sensitive to the voice and direction of the Holy Spirit, disciplined in my behavior, and diligent in my study of God's word. I pray that my words, actions and attitude are fitting of a disciple of Jesus, the Messiah.

This is my first deployment. I am married, I have three children under the age of six, and a 4 year-old on the way (I'll explain that one more later). I have some expectations of what this will be like, but know that I'm likely naive. (Does knowing one is naive make him less so?) My many military friends have probably prepared me well. At least a couple of them have been deployed to the same location as I am. Below is a list of things I expect I will likely miss. I plan on updating the list throughout my journey, and comparing it with what I actually missed once I get home.

Things I expect to miss:
1. My Wife, my kids
2. My church (www.crossbridgecommunitychurch.com)
3. Indian food, Mexican food, Italian food, my mom's chicken fried steak, my wife's Italian cream cake (okay, GOOD FOOD!)
4. Bird-watching with my kids
5. My backyard
6. The support and encouragement of my Life Group at church
7. My Taylor acoustic guitar (Cory- I hope you enjoy it!) The one I brought will suffice
8. Long, hot showers (3-minute combat showers are not going to be the same)
9. Toilets that flush
10. H-E-B
11. Starbuck's
12. Operating in my own ORs
13. My son's coy smile when I answer his "Dad, are you going to work today?" with "Nope."
14. My oldest daughter's suffocating hugs
15. My youngest daughter's "I MISSED YOU" yell when I get home.
16. Muffin night
17. Fresh produce

I'm sure there are some I forgot, and there are a few obvious ones I omitted. But that's a pretty reasonable list to start with.

Acts 4:11-13 Jesus is " ' the stone you builders rejected which has become the cornerstone.' Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved." When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.

Hoping to make others take note that I have been with Jesus.

5 comments:

  1. Reading this blog is going to be fun! You are in our prayers!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be praying for you, Erika and the kids!! Thank you for serving and God Bless you during your time in Southwest Asia! We will miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jason. May the good Lord be with you as you finally will be at your destination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you & miss you, big brother! Happy Thanksgiving!

    Love, jillyboo

    ReplyDelete